Monday, April 6, 2015

I can't believe I'm actually knitting AND reading

I'm knitting and reading, but not at the same time. Still can't manage that unless it's an audio book. And then I'm knitting and listening. But lately I've been reading physical books and I'd forgotten how much faster I can finish a book if I read it rather than listen. I know I can speed up an audio book, but that seems wrong.

But I am still knitting every single day and I'm loving it.  The best part right now is that I made a great choice of yarns for my Ring of Kerry.


This is my first time knitting with cotton and it has taken me a while to get used to the kind of "splittyness" of it. It isn't horrible, I think I've just been spoiled by the super-yummy experience of knitting cashmere, and merino. I know the lightness of it will be perfect in the months ahead. And I'm super excited about the colors. Hard to believe that orange was once one of the colors I didn't care for much. I've been gravitating toward it recently.


I decided that like knits, a little instant gratification was in order on the reading front as well. When I spoke with Jen Lucas about her new book, we also talked about reading. She'd been on a Rainbow Rowell kick and I knew other people who have been singing her praises. I finally snagged a copy of "Eleanor & Park" from my library and have jumped on the fan bandwagon. The beauty and charm of this story is so wonderful.

I also managed to snag a copy of "Girl on the Train," and could not put it down. I read it in every single spare moment (not much knitting or anything got done during those days). What a thriller!

My book club read "The Book of Unknown Americans" by Christina Henriquez and we agreed that it would be a book we would be recommending to everyone we know. It was also chosen as a "Silicon Valley Reads" book about the immigrant experience.

I like to read essays before going to sleep and on my bedside table has been "Bad Feminist" by Roxane Gay. These are smart, witty, and thought provoking essays on American culture.

What have you been reading?

Knit On!
Tricia (@cheekyattitude)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy Tricia...I love your Ring of Kerry scarf and colors. I am kind of liking orange lately too.

Thanks for the book recommendations. Agree on "Girl On A Train"!

There is NO WAY I can knit and read however.

sazzy

Anonymous said...

I love that you read essays before bed. I'm re-reading Slouching Towards Bethlehem for book club. Joan Didion writes beautifully but I'm not that big a fan of some of the essays. Rainbow Rowell books are on my list!

Terry

Jill L said...

Audiobooks are too slow for me....

I am reading Athens Outlsnder series again after reading then 12 years ago and I sm also readon A Spool of Blue a Thread by Anne Tyler .

ShareThis