Monday, September 8, 2008

The Sweet Smell of .....

Victory!!

Who am I kidding?!! These poor babies didn't make it through the preliminaries of the sockput competition for the Ravelympics '08, but they are still a victory, nonetheless!

The journey began during the Opening Ceremonies. I couldn't wait to cast on a pair of new socks! It continued through to Michael Phelps' first gold medal. And then I realized I better start knitting on that sweater. The poor socks fell behind.

sockput

I figured, no problem. Ravelympics are done. These will be finished in no time. Then the craft room project began and these languished on the needles. And still last week, I figured these will be done in no time. Well, I did cast on the second sock while waiting for Dad in the Emergency Room on Tuesday for five hours (he's okay and home the same day, but it was quite a little scare!).

Sweet Tarts

I brought them to Sacramento thinking they'd definitely be done after I put Lil' Guy to bed Friday night (Auntie Irishgirlie forgot how that kid moves!). The exhausted babysitter did not knit on them AT ALL. Then comes the OMG! Notre Dame barely beat San Diego St. game on Saturday where very little knitting took place (too busy cheering/praying?!).

Sweet Tarts

It took some relaxing with friends at Purlescence on Sunday to make some headway! But I finished them last night. And absolutely love them! I took our depraved dyer's suggestion to knit these in a raven color and they look fabulous I think!! And despite the month-long journey (yeap, didn't even finish in time for the last few weeks of summer of socks!), they were easy-peasy!! Love this pattern by Hot Flash!!

Pattern: Sweet Tart Anklet by Marilyn Kaleikilo (part of July's Rockin' Sock Club kit, the pattern, not the yarn)
Yarn: Socks that Rock, lightweight, colorway Valkyrie
Mods: Knit the leg for 5" instead of making them anklets.

Happy Monday!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

23 comments:

Scrabblequeen said...

Wonderful socks, great story! Sometime when you head in the SAC direction again we should plan a meet-up...eh?

Neuroknitter said...

I'm glad your dad is doing ok! It's always scary spending time in the ER with a parent.

Your socks look great!! Wowie!!! Great pictures!

tapmouse said...

The socks are lovely and your craft room looks great! Congratulations on all your hard work.

Sounds like you had a crazy-busy week! No wonder I haven't heard much from/of you!

Let's catch up soon, k? Hope you make it up this way!

Anonymous said...

Those socks have a wonderful story to go with them. I'm glad to hear your dad's okay. It's never good to go to the ER.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh, I LOOOOOVE!!!!! your socks! I'm SO getting that pattern! They look fantastic! And I'm glad to hear that your dad is doing well. ER visits are never fun!

Bezzie said...

We were following that game too (SD State is Mt. West...and the only team expected to finish below Colorado State in the division this year!) and I was thinking of you the whole time!!!!

Great socks!!

Discoknits said...

I have this picture in my mind of you frantically crossing yourself - first during the game and second at the ER. I'm glad to hear that both times it paid off.

The socks are really pretty. I love the contrast of the dark yarn and the delicate, pretty pattern. Nice job :0)

Trillian42 said...

Wow - it's amazing how different that pattern looks in a dark color. Those look fabulous!

Guinifer said...

Very cute socks - I'm in a middle of a pair with the same yarn - different pattern. I really love the color.

chemgrrl said...

Those are dang cute. I even like the little bobblie things, and I usually hate bobbles.

Glad your dad's okay!

Blanche Knits in DC said...

Oh.. Those look awesome! The color and pattern go very well together.. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I missed that part about your dad when we were knitting together. So glad he's fine!

And I'm sure watching that ND game didn't help with a non-ND non-football fan in your midst, though it probably wouldn't be as bad as having a Stanford fan watching with a bunch of Cal fans (or the other way around for that matter).

Love those Raveny picoty socks. Yay for sock fo's!

hearthead said...

These are pretty. Do glad Dad is doing well. Congratulations, still a GOLD in my book!

Marisol said...

Cool cool socks! And oh my goodness how wonderful that craftroom looks! So jeasouls over here:)

peaknits said...

I like this pattern - looks so smooshable:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't even recognize the pattern. It's looks fantastic in Valkyrie!

Rani said...

i LOVE that pattern!!! And the color does, indeed, look swell with that pattern.

Hope Papa is ok!

theyarnwhisperer said...

those are some really cool socks! Where did you get the sock blockers?

turtlegirl76 said...

Very pretty! You can really see the colors in the yarn in your photos. That's awesome.

Zonda said...

Whew, Glad your Dad is ok! Hehe..so the leetle nephew is a bundle of energy huh! ;) Love those socks! Neat how the Raven's knit up as you well know ;)

Anonymous said...

Oohh... I like this pairing of yarn and pattern! Glad your dad is OK!

weezalana said...

Very cool socks! Some things are worth the wait! :)

Glad your dad is okay!

Unknown said...

Beautiful socks!!!! And I'm very glad to hear your Dad is OK.

ShareThis