Friday, September 19, 2008

YPF: The Autism Research Edition

I can't quite believe that it has been a week since I last blogged! Not to worry, I haven't just been buying yarn (as these two posts would seem to suggest!). I've been knitting too, just not as much as I would like.

September is a busy busy month at work for me. I don't talk about it too much on the blog (I'm a firm believer of trying to keep work stuff off of this blog, except for the occasional meme questions), but it seems relevant to discuss it today. I run a clinic that provides early, intensive behavioral intervention for young children with autism. What began as a way for me to fulfill my community service hours to receive my Confirmation back in high school by volunteering to work with a child with autism, has turned into my career. I've been working in this field now for 18 years. So when Woolgirl mentioned that she would soon be carrying a yarn where part of the profit went to Autism research, well of course, I knew I'd buy some (yarn and a good cause!)!

IMG_6072

Mama Llama Perfect Sock, sportweight colorway Autism

autism

My sister agreed that this colorway captures the puzzle pieces pins and bumper stickers that are part of raising Autism Awareness.

IMG_6073

I love the coordinating blue yarn for the heels and toes.

IMG_6070

And in true Woolgirl style, look at all the goodies from ordering my one skein! My sister has already confiscated the notepad (she loves!! Woolgirl extras!!).

I'll be back with another post on Saturday of the socks that I finally finished last night!

Happy Friday!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

11 comments:

Trillian42 said...

I never realized you worked with children with autism. Clearly your heart is as beautiful as your knitting.

And I agree - that colorway is a wonderful representation of the puzzle piece ribbons. I'll be interested to see how it knits up.

tapmouse said...

AWESOME! I couldn't get onto the site the other night and wanted to order some! Hopefully there's a skein left for ME.

cockeyed said...

...the world of autistic children is blessed to have youe! Keep up the awesome work!

Zonda said...

A wonderful colorway for a good cause! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

It is an awesome pair of colors. I got mine the other day but I was a bad enabler and forgot to bring it in to show tapmouse.

Wool Girl has it in fingering weight so I hope tapmouse managed to snag a skein set.

Discoknits said...

So tempting to break the yarn diet for a good cause and a pretty yarn.

Off to ruminate.

Virtuous said...

Awesome commemorative autism yarn!

Bezzie said...

So clever!!!!

turtlegirl76 said...

That is an awesome colorway! What a wonderful cause!

Neuroknitter said...

Beautiful yarn! Wonderful cause! Kudos to you for the awesome work you do!

Unknown said...

Beautiful yarn and great cause!!!

ShareThis