Monday, August 24, 2009

Another List.

Not an exciting list. Just a list. Let's say, a Catch-Up-Don't-Want-to-Forget-To-Tell-You List.

Here goes.

1. Its official. Summer is over. Back to the long days of work, school has started, meetings, meetings, teachers, kids, tutors, meetings. Today was one of those days. My email seems to explode when school starts.....and stays that way until June. Thank goodness I love my job (and need money for sock camp).

2. On the plus side, college football season starts in less than two weeks. GO IRISH!!! (I know Bezzie is with me on this one!)

3. Caught up on my movies this weekend. Loved Cold Comfort Farm, but really really really loved this one. Enough that I may put it on my Christmas list. Just a sweet, beautiful movie. I told my sister she may want to show this one to her 3rd graders. I think Puddles may secretly be a fox after seeing this movie. Oh, and I heard about both movies from my knitting friends. I heart my knitting friends.

4. Speaking of knitting friends, I'm really missing Discoknits today (you ever have one of those days?!). I heart you Disco!

5. I've got 3 secret new design projects on the needles that I can't show you. Hopefully I can show you one soon. Because I fear the blog is not quite the same without the knitting, you know.

6. If you scroll on my sidebar, you'll see that sometime in the next week or so, the blog is going to have had 100,000 hits. Crazy, huh?! Granted, my family makes up for a good 10-20,000 of them, but still. Makes me really fear a boring blog as a result of #5 above.

7. Gearing up for September Smackdown, I vowed to get my exercise program in high gear. I am bound and determined to go snowboarding (well, more like fall-down-a-lot boarding, but wearing super-cute hats) this winter with Snowboarder (there, I said it on the blog, it will happen!). That just isn't going to happen if I don't get my butt in gear. So, today, after a long day of work, I did something that was maybe a first (definitely a rare thing). I told Snowboarder I couldn't hang out with him because I had to go swim my laps at the pool before it closed at 8pm (to clarify, I ditch him all the time for things like knitting, but never for exercise). Even more surprising, I felt really good after the swim (still tired, but you know, good tired).

8. I'm also trying to get my reading mojo back. I figure this may help with the walking on the treadmill thing. I finally found a book that is making it easier to get the mojo back.

Keepin' me busy.
The Time Traveler's Wife

I've had the book for forever and really wanted to read it before I saw the movie (which I hear is good). Now let's see if I can finish the book before the movie leaves the theaters.

9. That's about as much of my secret sock that I can show you. I'm loving how the STR colorway ST-1 is knitting up. I promise to show you soon.

10. When we get to 100,000 hits, I'm thinking contest!!! Any contest ideas? I've got the yarny prizes!!

Happy almost Tuesday (because, really, today, I'm over the Happy Monday)!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

28 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Your ST-1 project looks intriguing. Those colors look vaguely familiar. They might look nice on a shirt...

Time Traveler's Wife is one of my all time favorite books. When I finished, I started again (like time traveling, right?) so I could see how everything wrapped together from the beginning. Loved it. Enjoy!

Sylvia said...

Oh exciting! I love the colors already. I'm so jealous of the variety in yarn/colors you have in the US (not so jealous about the prices though, so much higher than over here in the Netherlands. Hmm do I sound like a real dutchy now? :D

Bezzie said...

less than 2 weeks til #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcy said...

awww! love your list. almost makes me want to start a blog. i said almost.
same book, that i too have had a while (dh bought it for me), is on my nightstand!
i heart knitting AND exercising friends! hehe

Discoknits said...

Great list. I miss you too :0)
xo

Jodi said...

I LOVE Cold Comfort Farm! The book is fabulous, too, and different from the movie in that it is set in the future (relative to when it was written).

I'll have to check out The Fox and the Child. I loved The Time Traveler's Wife so much that I'm a little afraid to see the movie.

laura said...

read the book first. srsly. the movie, while still good, didn't do it justice. but hey you get to see eric bana naked...win. hahaha

no in all seriousness finish the book :-P

Rani said...

I love that colorway! It is so very "Autumny".

Welcome back to school! We don't start until after labor day (preschool) - . . . after the 'big' kids are back on track.

Gigi said...

I loved "The Fox & the Child" too. Isn't it beautiful?! I really want to read "The Time Travelers Wife" also. Maybe I'll download the audiobook to listen to while I knit -- love doing that.
Anyway my Cotty, love it -- the one I've finished that is. Can you believe I'm such a dufus that I thought I could use the one skein of Andean Treasure I had and just order another one from Knit Picks when I needed it? Okay really, don't answer that ;-). Well anyway, that's just what I did, and of course, they're out of it! I seem to be having some kind of bad knitting karma going on right now. But, I love the pattern, so I'm just going to have to start over with a different yarn and this time order two skeins at the same time, ya think ;-)?
Blessings,
G

cockeyed said...

...i'm getting ready for the September smackdown, too. sounds like we have a great group!

Sam said...

School starting has the opposite effect for me. I can't wait for it to start!

Good luck with the smack down!

Unknown said...

The secret knitting looks lovely. The book looks good. I don't have the skills necessary to read and treadmill - I fall down.

I so want to get my exercise mojo back too. I need a "smackdown" friend. g

Unknown said...

Sometimes though, it's better not to read the book beforehand 'cause it can lead to disappointment. You can judge the movie on its own merits that way too.

Love that ST-1 start.

cupcakefaerie said...

Say it isn't so. We've got a few mores week of summer left and don't forget our warm indian summers. :)

I'll be cheering you on for snowboarding season!

KnitAllNight Elizabeth said...

Time Traveler's Wife is an awesome book. I read it while pregnant with Nathan and really wanted to name him Henry. Just seeing the trailer for the movie makes me cry, which is very unlike me!

Zonda said...

Ooh nice autumn colors! I need to check that book out i think! Have a good first week back!

Scrabblequeen said...

That secret knitting looks for Fall-like in color to me. Congrats on having a to-do list...I can't seem to manage even that much!

cpurl17 said...

I'm glad it's almost Autumn! I realy need to get back to blogging soon!!

hearthead said...

Yeah!!! You are hooked now! I am so proud of you! That sure is a pretty colorway.

Sylvia said...

I disagree! Summer is not over! Actually, I don't want it to be over! Please let me have a little more of those lovely summer evenings.

I'm trying to find Time Traveler's Wife in Dutch but it seems that there is no translation. I hate it to see so many lovely books on several blogs and not being able to read them.

Jacey said...

I love your "I ditch him all the time for knitting" comment. :)

dianne said...

That book is totally awesome! One of my all time favorites and one of a handful of books that everyone in my book club enjoyed. It's also on Itunes for $9.99 right now if you like audiobooks.

Now the football, I have to say Roll Tide! DS2 is at U of Alabama so we're bleeding Crimson at my house and can't wait for College Ball to begin :-)

Jo said...

I like that movie, too (note to self - find more quirky historical movies on Netflix...) I need to fix my exercise as well - I was doing so well before vacation and then these last two weeks of being drugged and hacking up my lungs have set me completely off-course. Do you like exercising in the fall better? Fall is my favourite time of year - love the cool crispness of it all.

weezalana said...

How about a send-all-your-STR-to-weez contest? That sounds like fun, dontcha think?

Hehehehehehehe. ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the colours in that yarn.... some of my favourite colours!

I've seen quite a few bloggers recently who have read and loved that book... I must read it myself soon.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the compliment on my shawl. I loved The Time Traveler's Wife too, and I didn't know there was a movie! (I haven't been to a movie theater since the daughter arrived 5 years ago!) I swim for exercise too, and the good mood it creates is worth the effort for me, so I hope it helps keep you going too!

Batty said...

Can't say I'm surprised to see you knitting with STR ; )

I'm also trying to get back into exercising. First, I have to cancel 2 gym memberships (one from the town we moved out of in... oh, November, and a local one for a gym that's just not close enough). But then, I'll see about some personal training. You'll go snowboarding and I'll be able to open the heavy doors at work without pushing my entire body weight against them and looking like a complete dork. Deal?

Spinning Ninny said...

That's one of my favorite books. I really loved it.

ShareThis