..for some football?!!
We sure were at IrishDad's house today!
He had bacon sandwiches ready and brought out an old ND cup from the glory days when I was in school!
Bailey was ready!
So was Puddy-Wuddy!
That's right! I'm wearing my Lucky socks! And when your team is winning 35-0, you have plenty of time to knit! Go Irish!!!
After the game, there was baking! This recipe is so well-loved in our house that the page has come out of the cookbook! oops!
Spiced Pumpkin Bread! Happy Fall!!
This is such an easy recipe and makes two loaves! One for dad's house, one for ours. Or the freezer. It is a staple of football season at our house! And since I knew you would ask....here's the recipe!
The recipe is adapted from The Foster's Market Cookbook by Sara Foster (one of my oldie but goody cookbooks...love the baked stuff in this one!).
Spiced Pumpkin Bread (makes two 9 by 5 inch loaves)
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and lightly flour two 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pans
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
4. Whisk together the sugar, eggs and oil in a separate bowl until well blended. Stir in the pumpkin, water and vanilla and mix well.
5. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until all the ingredients are moist and blended, do not overmix.
6. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top begins to crack slightly.
7. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pans. Serve warm or place on a baking rack to cool.
You can also add 1 cup of nuts (I added pecans to our loaf), raisins (that's what dad wanted in his loaf) or other dried fruits after mixing the flour and pumpkin mixtures.
Happy Football Season!!!
p.s. WOW! Thanks for all the fabulous contest comments! Lots to look forward to! Contest is still open if you haven't left a comment....