Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Art of Stashing

If it is indeed an art, well I've mastered it. Well, at least two years ago, until Disco came to visit for Stitches West and we had a heart to heart about the stash. I had mastered it. Then I began making it not an art. Or at least trying :) (Yet, I fully acknowledge that I love my stash and the yarn collection isn't going to go away, but you know, I can continue to learn how to keep it in check. I still haven't learned how to totally resist those cashmere yarns though.)

Things I've learned so far....

1) I don't need vacation yarn. Okay, sock summit. That was an exception. Yarn vacations are different. But when I first began knitting eight years ago, well, every vacation where there was a yarn store involved vacation yarn. They will tell you it doesn't count. It does.

IMG_2678

And then 7 years after your cruise to Alaska, well, you find this in your stash. And its time to admit that well, I don't think I'm ever going to knit this (it was meant for some type of ripple scarf). Love the colors, but 55% mohair, 45% wool. I think its ~500-600 yards. Yeah, I just don't see it being knit anytime soon. Even more of a wake-up call. The price on the back, $55. Ouch.

So, to the destash it goes. $20 or best offer (US shipping included).

2. Infatuation. Flings. I certainly have gone through phases where I "love" a certain type of yarn. Must have it, and goodness, if its on sale, must stock up. (Note: Socks that Rock is NOT an infatuation. I've had that love for quite awhile and if you took all of my stash away except my STR, I would be completely happy with just that. okay. maybe I would need to keep my plucky yarns. and mama blue. that's it I think. Hmmm...maybe I should remind myself of this as I continue to destash). I'm trying to remember that not only do I not knit fast enough, but I may lose that infatuation.

IMG_2679

Take alpaca. I loved it. I still do. Its sooooo soft. But a sweater's worth? Probably not for me. Anyone from the Knittyboards remember this alpaca listing a few years ago.... I think it was $25-30 for 10 skeins of Pure Living Organic Peruvian Alpaca, 100% superfine alpaca (50g/1.75 oz, about 90m/99yds; gauge 19-21 sts = 4" on US 7). I have two packages of 10 skeins in this color. And yes, sale yarn, another package of 10 in a natural cream.

Anyone interested? $20 per package of 10 skeins US shipping included (or both sets of tan/khaki for $35) ETA: The tan/khaki skeins are gone, but the 10 skeins of natural cream are still available.

3. Just because it is on sale, doesn't mean I need to buy it. There will always be yarn sales. There will always be yarn sales. There will always be yarn sales.

Okay, that's enough S.A. for today (Stashaholics Anonymous). Maybe next time we'll tackle the sock yarn. Any other suggestions are totally welcome :)

If you are interested in the above yarns, leave a comment (with contact info) or email me at irishgirlieknits AT gmail DOT com.

Happy Destashing!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

22 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Vacation yarns. That's no so bad. I had a vacation piano thing. I flirted with a Bosendorfer piano at piano camp, to the tune of $60K or so. Vacation yarn looks pretty good in comparison!

Jocelyn said...

The only other place I go for vacation is Manila and the selection there is mostly DMC cotton floss at best. So no vacation yarn for me. Things would change when we move to Canada though. I'll need to find a house with a spare room big enough for my current and future stash.

You know how much I love destashing from you but sorry mohair and alpaca don't rock my boat.

I swear I will do my own Stashaholic Anonymous soon. I need to. Just some get a sense of reality.

peaknits said...

oh, how I have learned these very lessons - thank you for gentle reminder though:) Good luck!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so with you on the vacation yarn. I always end up not knowing what to do with most of it. I don't love it after all.

lizchatwell said...

LOVE the alpaca, but I'm really more of a worsted weight girl...

Discoknits said...

Yay, so proud of you for getting to grips with it all :0)
As stitches approaches, I'm getting all sad not to be there this year :0(

Renee Anne said...

Damn you posting grand things! I decided on Monday that I needed to go on a yarn diet until I get some of my stash worked through. The only exceptions to the rule are if I need to buy more yarn to finish a project or for the KnitIn. No more Plucky (for awhile). No more local yarn stores. No more chain stores. No. More. Yarn.


Damn.

beth02116 said...

My mom bought me the same yarn kit on her Alaskan cruise a few years ago! I CO around 225 stitches and knit a lengthwise scarf - garter-changing yarns every row and leaving the ends as fringe. Gorgeous and warm and gets loads of compliments.
Someone should grab it up at that price!

SissySees said...

What?! And here I was thinking we were cut from the same cloth... Give up vacation yarn?! NEVER!! But I will note that I try to only buy ONE skein of sock yarn or something similar as a souvenier.

Alpaca sweater?! I think I just had a hot flash thinking about it.

Mya said...

I think I need to adopt your mantra when I see a sale...there will always be yarn, there will always be yarn, there will always be yarn.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I've never walked out of a yarn shop empty handed so huge stash guilty as charged.lol
Hugs Darcy

sheepish one said...

ha! i hear you. i've destashed just a few skeins of random yarns recently, and one sweater's worth of 220. i think that last year was my year of reckoning. i stopped clicking around the internets for indie yarns. mostly because i have a ton already, but also because i just can't justify more money out when i have a retirement's account worth sitting in the house.
good luck with your own stashdown.

Zonda said...

Heh..so much for sock yarn doesn't count as stash huh ;) Glad I can't see the pictures at work. This way I avoid it, yep, avoidance works..well 95% of the time maybe :P

Scrabblequeen said...

It's a good lesson...and I've been working on it myself. I have enough yarn for now, I don't knit fast enough, and there will always be sales...I believe, I believe, I believe...(almost)

Rani said...

ok. I'm kind of sort of lurking around that tan alpaca. Soooo soft. soooo yummy. I'm on empty right now. Maybe if no one claims it after my pay day...

I must say, it feels good to destash, but let me just warn you . . . it can make you feel like now you have more room for more yarn!

Sam said...

Ah the alpaca phase. I remember it well :)

So nice to knit so hot to wear. I should get rid of some of mine too. Or start making a lot of hats.

Unknown said...

Ah, but at least you didn't succumb to all the lys-closing sales that I partook in here on the other side of the Bay from you.

And at least you destash. Me - I'm still pondering how many mitered blankets I can make from my stash of cotton.

Batty said...

My rule is that yarn I wouldn't buy if it weren't on sale doesn't get bought. Because I know that a sale sticker will turn fug into shiny yarny goodness -- for a while. Then, it reverts back to its fugly nature. Kind of like a Cinderella thing.

Knitting Kris said...

Healthy attitude. Now I need to apply it to all areas of my life as well as yarn (there will always be more chocolate, yarn, purses, etc.). I did give some yarn away at SAFF as prizes, but that didn't even make a dent in the overwhelming stash. YIKES!

Neuroknitter said...

No vacation yarns?? :*(

You're an inspiration as always!! :)

Anonymous said...

yes. i have (mostly) stopped buying yarn. except for Blue Moon. of course.

so what do i do? i start to MAKE yarn! in the name of fiber study though. now i have a fiber stash! hello?

maybe i'll show the sweaters' worth that i have some day...yes, plural.
hugs,
marcy

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I haven't been on a vacation in a long, long time, but I still find a way of accumulating the yarn. Like; I'm going on a "yarn crawl" next month. Leaving my credit card at home. Really. I promised myself. No really ...

ShareThis