Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Balance

I'm not sure if balance is the exact word I'm looking for, but for now, it will do.  Lately, I'm feeling like I'm trying to figure out how to balance everything, find time for everything, and still relax and slow down and take things in stride.  Make time for the little things that I so love to do.  Spend more time with family and friends.  Travel more.  Read more. Knit more.  Work productively (note, not more....just productively!).  Finding that happy medium.  You know what I mean?

Stephanie called it juggling.  Just today Gigi talked about a simpler life and unplugging a bit.  I'm sure Oprah has a word for it too.

I tried to do that this weekend with the farmer's market, knitting, hanging with the doggies.  Spending time with family.

Yesterday I went to the gym.  Not necessarily the fun type of balance, but making time for the gym and working out and being healthy tells me I'm taking the time to do the things I want to do.  Even if they make my thighs hurt alot the next day.

I read a few new blogs.  Thank you all for the suggestions.  (Keep them coming by the way.  I'll end the contest in the next day or two!)

Then I knit on my new design.  I heart Plucky Primo!  Seriously love this. 

IMG_6152
Matchy-matchy.  I know. I can't help it.  My new design journal from Punk Rawk Purl!


I tried to balance my knitting projects just a bit too.  I resisted winding and casting this on immediately, despite wanting to!  I'm so close to finishing the infinity scarf, that I'll wind the yarn tonight.

IMG_6154

Sunshine Yarns, Classic Sock.  Lovely. Lovely.

And I'm balancing writing this post and knit-nite.  I wanted to do both tonight, but also want to relax when I come home and just knit.  Read. Maybe go to bed early.  So I'm writing this post, keeping it short and sweet, and heading to knit nite, albeit late.

I'm trying to find that balance. Zen. Happy Place. Any tips you guys want to share?  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one feeling this way, right?

Off to knit nite.

Happy Knitting!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

9 comments:

gMarie said...

Oh girlfriend, I hear you and I so wish I had the answers. As you know I'm swamped and stressed and work. I balance it with knit night - straight after work, no home first. Once home I don't leave.

Then on Fridays after watching my favorite DVD'd tv show I try to spend the rest of the day sewing and feeding my creativity that way. Good luck - I hope you find the balance. g

Kaye said...

If you find it, let us know! Because sadly I'm not there yet either!

Anonymous said...

Life is a constant balancing act. I think the best thing you can do is to merely recognize that.

Early on in my days as a mother, I worried that the kids weren't eating right-healthy enough, all the food groups, yada yada yada. My pediatrician told me to look at it over a week's time instead of daily.

That advice took off alot of the pressure and is helpful in all venues of life.

peaknits said...

I am right there with you - trying to figure it out. I made contact with my yoga instructor to ask about tonight's class to "make" myself go - since I stopped practicing, I feel kind of disconnected - I hope I can make a re-commitment:) Maybe finding that thing that makes you feel whole - like the gym, your health, just being introspective and taking care of you. Maybe a gratitude journal? (all things I have been thinking of doing myself:)

Gigi said...

You have so many more balls to keep in the air than I do! Even now, with my kids grown and no job, I still struggle with finding balance -- no excuses for me ;). As 'knittinggolfer' said, life is a constant balancing act, and I think we're all muddling along and doing our best, don't you ;)?
Blessings,
GG

Rani said...

No! You're not the only one. I have just been going through this same thing. I had a weekend (almost) to myself up at a cabin and it was like coming up for a breath of air. Really. I did not bring all my "work". Just an Oprah magazine and some knitting.

It also helps to have a dog, but you have that covered. Take 5 and bury your face in their scruffy warm necks and let that be a tiny little escape.

SpinningLara said...

We keep a wipe off calendar and wipe off messge board on the fridge. It helps keep what needs to be done where we can see it. I think it saves us a little time because we don't seem to spend time trying to figure out what errands (or what needed to be fixed) need be done anymore. We also have a grocery list attached to a menu planner. At least I only have to figure out what to cook once a week now instead of trying to figure it out last minute.

On a side note - I am in love with the owl bag and journal!

Mya said...

Balancing seems to be a common theme for a lot of us these days. I keep thinking if I wasn't interested in so many things I wouldn't be so busy. I try to make a list at the beginning of the week with one column of things I MUST get done and then another column of things I would LIKE to get done. Then for every MUST that I finish I see if I've got some time to do a LIKE item. Sometimes those LIKE items roll onto the next week. :) And then I fantasize about a button that will "stop time".

Tonia said...

Carrie- this is something that I have struggled with since returning fulltime to work this past January...I want to suggest that you read 1000 Gifts by Ann VosKamp- it has changed me, my outlook & my little part of the world.

ShareThis