Friday, October 14, 2011

A Fine Fella

This hat was born almost two year ago.  So I am quite excited to finally share it with you.  August was full of hat knitting, but I think I finally perfected the pattern.  Introducing...

Fine Fella    


FineFella7

Shown in The Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted, colorways Fine Fella (MC) and Oz (CC)

FineFella.8


My great-aunt Mimi described her brother, my great-uncle Frank, as such a caring, friendly guy.  They grew up during the Depression, and she says he always brought home a friend when he was on leave.  When their mother would wonder how she would feed an extra, “Frankie” would say, “Ah mom. Give him mine.” 

finefella5


FineFella9

I designed the Uncle Frank socks in my great-uncle’s honor and used that cable pattern again here. I just know this hat is something he would have worn. After all, he was quite the fine fella.

IGK_0144
IGK_0154

Shown in The Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted, colorway Garnet Martini

IGK_0135

This one also works for the ladies too!

Pattern: Fine Fella  
Suggested Yarns: ~ 170 yards of worsted weight yarn such as The Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted, Madelinetosh Vintage, Malabrigo Rios, Kolláge Yarns Solace, Miss Babs Yowza, A Verb for Keeping Warm Toasted
~10 yards of worsted weight yarn for contrasting trim, if desired

Materials:
Size US 6 (4.00 mm) either DPNs or Circular 16” with DPNs needed for decreases or size to obtain gauge
Cable needle
Stitch markers
Tapesty needle                                                                                                  

Gauge: 22 sts and 32 rows = 4” over st st      

Size: one size fits most adults

Sizing Modifications: The ribbing on the hat provides a lot of stretch and accommodates most head sizes.  However, if you would like to make the hat smaller or larger, it is recommended to make these modifications by working fewer (e.g., for smaller hat) or more (e.g., for larger hat) of the first row at the beginning of the pattern.                               

Finished measurements:  6 ¼” unstretched (9” streteched) width, 8 ¼ ” length 

I'm also having a special introductory sale price of $4.50 through Monday, Oct. 17!

Fine Fella Cover

Once again, I have to give a huge thank you to Thayer (the gorgeous model!), Tricia (the awesome photographer), Dianne and Debs (super-speedy test knitters!) and Jill (the amazing graphic designer)!  I seriously couldn't do this without them!  And a special thanks to Snowboarder for modeling too!

Big and Lil Snowboarders

I have to admit, this picture is probably my favorite :) 

Speaking of fine fellas.....I'm watching Lil' Guy all weekend while his parents are out of town.  I can't wait to see him play soccer tomorrow!  We had a great evening at the park....I just love him to bits!

So cute


So high


Last night I went to the Cal vs. USC football game at AT&T Park, where the SF Giants usually play.  It may not have been a win for Cal, but it was a gorgeous night in the city.  This was our view from our tailgater, complete with this fine fella...


My kind of view


Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

2 comments:

Discoknits said...

Love the hat, love the snowboarders, love the Lil Guy, love SanFran. (2012 is for London, but 2013 is for California - The boys and I have decided.)
Congrats on another awesome hat, Carrie - this Frank series is my fave - can someone say Christmas knitting? :0)

Scrabblequeen said...

Hitting the "love" button for everything. Fine pattern, fun plans, cute kids....fine fella. :-)

ShareThis