Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Peaceful Season

I know. The holidays for some aren't quite peaceful. But I sure am trying. I took a little extra time off from work this year to specifically make it a peaceful season.

And so far....

fun

I've finished two books. Considering I've maybe read 6 or 7 books this year, this is huge. I enjoyed them both, but not sure I would read them back to back. Both involve kidnappings of a child (totally, light-hearted holiday reading?!?!). Little Face takes place in England and The Year of Fog takes place in San Francisco, and were quite different, but page-turners, especially towards the end.

Oh, and I indulged a bit at the Lush after-Christmas sale. How can you not find peace when you are in a warm bubble bath, reading? Seriously, its the little things for me.

Today was also a very relaxing day at home with Snowboarder and Lil' Snowboarder. I made pancakes from scratch, for the first time I think. Not sure why that is. I was out of pancake mix, so I found this recipe. I don't think I'll ever buy mix again!! They were so yummy that I forgot to take pictures.

And there was enough sunshine to take some pictures of some finished knits. This hat has been done for a few weeks now, I just hadn't found the time to take some pictures.


Uncle Frank Hat.6

Uncle Frank Hat.4

Uncle Frank Hat3

The yarn is Madelinetosh Tosh Worsted, in Copper Penny. Its the Uncle Frank Hat. The pattern isn't quite done yet. I think I want to tweak the decreases a bit. But it was nice to finally, finally, take some pictures!

And I even was able to have Snowboarder take a picture of my new sock design that's in the works.

Unnamed

A simple, lace sock. It just needs a name. And some test knitting. Any ideas for a name? Merrily. That has been stuck in my head the entire time I've been knitting these. It could be the holiday music (IrishDad had me watching this), or the merrily merrily merrily, life is but a dream aspect. It is a quick knit. But I'm completely open to suggestions.

Now back to knitting and Law & Order/CSI/ Law & Order SVU marathons on tv :)

Peace. Love. Joy.
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

24 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I love the cables on Snowboarder's hat!

knitter said...

I love the Uncle Frank Hat, can't wait for the pattern!

Jocelyn said...

Oooh Uncle Frank's hat is gorgeous! Plus a new sock pattern with some cool cuffs. Can't wait!

Did I hear you say test knitting? Where do I sign up?

Susie said...

Great hat! Happy New Year!

Bezzie said...

Hmmm...go with Merrily! Why not?

peaknits said...

What a wonderful, couple of days you have had! I enjoyed a Year of Fog also - and have a Sophie Hannah on my bedstand right now! That hat is perfection! Nice work again!

Jo said...

ove the hat - and it looks fabulous in that colour.

Kelly said...

name for the socks....but if you ever need a test knitter, let me know!

SissySees said...

Lovely knits! The reading though... Sigh. I too used to devour book upon book, and now? I did read more than a dozen this year, only because Gaylen got me into that dog show mystery series... I'll finish the last book before the year ends!

Caffeine Girl said...

Don't know which I like better, the hat or the sock. Fortunately, I don't have to decide. Can't wait until the sock pattern is available!

Neuroknitter said...

Love the hat and new socks!!

I need to drop the knitting and pick up a book...it has been so long since I've read for pleasure!! But with all those awesome marathons going on, the needles are clicking away!!! :) :)

weezalana said...

Oooo, LOVE the Uncle Frank hat! Let me know if you need a test knitter!

The socks are totally Merrily. As soon as I read that, it just felt right. :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've been approaching the new year from a whole other direction - cleaning. I need to rethink that!

Snowboarder is such a good sport to model for you so frequently. He does a nice job!

JelliDonut said...

Nice socks and hat! Love, love, love Lush!

How about Carousel or Merry Go Round for the new pattern? If you need a test knitter, I have experience.

Happy Peaceful New Year!

Unknown said...

So Merrily Merry! And my offer to volunteer test knitting still stands.

Does that Snowboarder not look good in any hat you make him? The hat looks good & best wishes on tweaking your design 'til you're happy with it.

Love Lush. So does Monkey1 so it's always a race to use my bath bombs before she does. LOL.

Jadielady said...

I LOVE Lush!!! I discovered them through another friend's blog and decided to try it out. Sadly there's no store near me so I have to order online, but the lotions have done wonders for my skin and the shampoo works magic on my hair!
Wow! Lush is so awesome I didn't even pay attention to the knits!

Zonda said...

Don't tell Snowboarder he's becoming quite the model ;) Love that hat and if you need a test knitter for the hat I'm in. (sorry socks, I'm too slow LOL!) I think name you've given them so far!

Happy New Year!

Jean said...

The Uncle Frank's hat is not only beautiful in design, it looks like a fun knit! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

samro said...

Love both the new patterns! That hat is especially gorgeous. And of course snowboarder looks very handsome.

tapmouse said...

GORGEOUS knits! And you are right-nothing like a bit o' LUSH! and some of the stuff won't be around til next holiday season! My favorite is the Snowcake! Glad you had a nice, warm morining with Snowboarder and Little Snowboarder.

tapmouse said...

PS-I like your "Merrily, Merrily" idea for the socks. The cuff at the top and overall look reminds me of Christmas Gnomes. Merry Gnome socks?

Batty said...

Great socks and hat. And that's some nice Lush stuff! I'm always overwhelmed at the store because there are so many smells, but once I get my goodies home, I'm always happy.

It's all about creating your own peace. Taking time off, reading a good book or two, eating yummy food, and taking a bath with nice-smelling "additives" -- that's what it's all about. And doggies and kids and loved ones. This year has been hard on so many people. Sounds corny, but the only way we can find peace is from the inside out. I think you're doing it right.

And I second/third/however-much Merrily.

Rani said...

I saw the socks and thought of candy canes.

I love what you said about trying to enjoy the season. Fly Lady said something about trying to remember not to buy the holidays, but feel the holidays. It worked. We cut our budget in half. Turned down several invites. Did not worry about sending Christmas cards (I'll send Valentine cards instead . . . maybe) and just spending some time actually eating the cookies we baked and singing carols and looking at our tree.

BUT I missed the LUSH sale. WAAAAAAH! I think I may have to pay a visit.

ps. I just started Nefertiti - by Michele something. so far so good.

Wen Slowknitter said...

The Uncle Frank hat is awesome. Currently in hat mode for bald husband, will test knit happily!

ShareThis