Monday, January 31, 2011

Walk Now

Every spring for the past few years, I've participated in the Walk Now for Autism Speaks Event with my colleagues at PALS (Pacific Autism Learning Services), to help raise awareness and money for children with autism.  Autism affects 1 in 110 children, a number that has dramatically increased since I began working with children with autism 20 years ago. Each child with autism that I work with is a unique individual and these socks attempt to capture that.  The pattern features four different design options for the top of the foot, allowing you to create your own individualized socks.

WalkNow.1
Shown in The Plucky Knitter Primo MCN, colorway Headboard



walknow.2

My first time knitting with Primo and my only thought was why did I let this sit in my stash for so long.  Lovely!

_MG_5284-2

Jocelyn test knit one of the design options and I just loved seeing it, especially in her gorgeous hand-dyed yarn, Dubai Knits Chameleon in colorway Sea Breeze.  She posted lots of additional pictures here.  Thank you Jocelyn and Gaylen both for your awesome and superfast test knitting skills! I can't imagine what I'd do without both of you!

walknow.3

I do love that part of the design is carried throughout the heel as well.

IMG_5271

The photo shoot was pretty fun too.  On the way home from visiting my great-aunt Mimi in Reno, we stopped in Tahoe for some snowtubing!  Too much fun!

IMG_5273


Last May I had wanted to design a sock pattern to help raise money for the Walk Now event, but time got away from me.  This year, when the Sock Knitters Anonymous group challenge for January was knitting socks for a cause, I was inspired.  70% of the proceeds of the sale of this pattern will be donated to Autism Speaks until May 31, 2011, when the Bay Area Walk Now for Autism Speaks event is.  As of 4/4/11, we've raised $300!  Thank you! Let's keep going!

Pattern: Walk Now
Notes: Instructions are written for a cuff-down sock.  Two sizes are provided and the pattern includes different design options for the top of the foot.  Both written and charted instructions are provided.
Suggested Yarns: ~360-380 yards of fingering sock yarn, such as The Plucky Knitter Primo MCN, BMFA Socks that Rock lightweight, Miss Babs Yummy Superwash Sock, The Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga, Madelinetosh Tosh Sock
Needles: US 1 (2.25mm)
Gauge: 36 sts = 4" over st st
Sizes: adult women's medium (large)
Finished Measurements: 6 3/4" foot circumference, stretches up to 9"
(7 3/4" foot circumference, stretches up to 10")
6" approx. leg length

Thank you all again for your continued support of my designs!

Happy Knitting!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits


13 comments:

Jen said...

Love the pattern. Love the cause!

Another great design, Carrie!

erica said...

Gorgeous pattern, great cause, and I love how much money you're donating from your profits!

Bubblesknits said...

Love the pattern and the cause is one that's very dear to my heart (my son was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 5). Pattern already bought and downloaded. : )

gMarie said...

Fabulous Socks! I need to get glamour shots made - dang! g

VeganCraftastic said...

Beautiful socks for an awesome cause - yay!

SissySees said...

Even with the Knight sitting here and my jumbo monitor at work, I'm clicking away as soon as I hit "publish". Beautiful design for an even better cause.

cockeyed said...

so proud of you! another beautiful pattern! and such a wonderful cause!

Alicia said...

Such lovely socks! Great design.

The new blog layout looks awesome as well.

cupcakefaerie said...

Beautiful pattern and beautiful new look on the blog!

Discoknits said...

Love the new sock Carrie, and the new blog design. The Cuteness!

Jocelyn said...

Wow! The new blog layout is awesome! Beautiful! Thanks for the shout-out. I just realised that I didn't mention the Walk Now cause properly. I will fix that when I post the FO.

The pleasure was all mine - knitting your designs is always fabulous. Here's to a great year of you designing and hopefully me test-knitting them. *hugs*

Unknown said...

I've been looking forward to this pattern release so I can knit up my own Plucky Primo.

I am glad that part of the proceeds goes to such a good cause.

Cheesvangelist said...

Hi! I am making your "snowboard hat that rocks" - I love the cables and earflaps! I am a fairly new knitter, and am not sure how exactly to attach the second earflap. Could you advise? (Sorry to post on here, I couldn't leave a post on the hat pattern).

Thanks very much!

ShareThis