Sunday, December 14, 2008

Giving Back

Prizes

Back around Thanksgiving I had an idea for my Blogiversary contest. I thought, wouldn't it be nice to give back a little this year. I've been very blessed this year and I'm always reminded of that around the holidays. One way I could give back could involve donating some of my most favorite skeins of sock yarn as prizes. People could buy an entry into the contest by donating $5 through Knitters without Borders to Doctors Without Borders. And then I thought...nah. With my luck, only a few people would enter.

Mama Blue Simple Merino
Mama Blue Simple Merino, color Siren

Fast forward to a week or so later when I did a different blogiversary contest. 98 comments! A first for my blog! And then the Yarn Harlot mentioned re-updating the Knitters without Borders donations on her blog. That did it. Let's give it a go, and heck, even if only 1/3 of those who commented during the first contest donated $5, that would be $150 more donated.

Wollmeise
Wollmeise 100% Merino, color Versuchskaninchen 1

Stephanie's original post about Knitters without Borders is here. Donation instructions are detailed there. So here's where the prizes come in. For every $5 you donate, I will give you an entry in the contest (e.g., $5 = one entry, $10 = two entries, $15 = three entries....). After you donate, email me (irishgirlieknitsATgmailDOTcom) with the total amount you donated so that I can enter you (don't forget to email Stephanie too so that she can add the total to Knitters without Borders). You have until 9am PST on December 24, 2008 to donate and then I'll pick the winners that day! I'm counting donations made from the day of this post until 9am PST time on Dec. 24 (sorry, previous donations do not count).

Socks that Rock Rare Gems
Socks that Rock lightweight, color Rare Gems (swoon!)

Each skein of yarn is a prize (so right now, there are three prizes donated and if we get lots of entries/donations, well, you all know I have a pretty stash to search for more prizes). Feel free to tell your friends.

Happy Donating! Happy Prizes!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

12 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Giving is the essence of the holidays. Doing it now.

Bezzie said...

Hee hee, actually part of the reason I started K.A.Y.E. was the YH's incessant donation drive for Kw/oB ;-)

Discoknits said...

Will put this on my list of things to do - you are very generous Ms IGK :0)

Can I have first dibs on that Rare Gem - just my colours ;0)

Scrabblequeen said...

Good idea! Heck, $5 is just a cuppa coffee or two these days, we can all afford that! And...the prizes...awesome.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder! And for offering up such lovely prizes.

cupcakefaerie said...

You are so awesome!

Batty said...

What a wonderful idea... and that's some nice yarn!

tapmouse said...

That is so great, Irish Girlie! I'll be donating for a good cause! You are awesome!

Auntie Pudentaine said...

I love you even more for doing this!! I'm out of the contest because I already do a monthly donation...but it sure is a great cause to support. I hope a generous amount is raised!! I would suggest that it makes a nice gift for a person who "has it all". That is how I started it, as a gift for my MIL, I did it for a year...but then never stopped.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I just donated.Hugs Darcy
The Wollmeise is yummy you are so sweet:)

Lisa said...

You are IT.... http://twistedstitches71.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-am-it-now.html

Jill L said...

OK -- I donated too. Merry Christmas!

ShareThis