Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Fitting End..

...to a perfect birthday week!

bleeding hearts

My Bleeding Hearts Gathered Scarf was finished on our drive home from our trip to the snow!

more scarf

more bleeding hearts

I eeked it out of one skein too! I'll admit, I was a bit nervous last night when it didn't look long enough, but I blocked what was knit so far and it grew about 15 inches over night!!

birthday scarf

Pattern: Gathered Scarf
Yarn: Socks that Rock mediumweight, colorway Bleeding Hearts ONE SKEIN!!!
Needles: US 5 and US 8
Measurements: 5" x 65"
Cast on: February 11, 2009 (happy birthday me!)
Finished: February 15, 2009
Modifications: A few that I read about on lots of ravelry project pages. I went up needle sizes. I started with the garter stitch portion of the scarf first. I cast on a few extra stitches for more width (54 stitches total). Not sure I would do that again. I also alternated the decreases between ssk and k2tog as some suggested on ravelry (e.g., one full row of ssk, next decrease row k2tog).

I do know that I will definitely be knitting at least one more of these! In sock yarn! And in other yarns! I fell in love with this one and have a skein of Peru just calling its name!

I'm glad he was driving.

I finished the last 10 inches of the scarf while Snowboarder drove us home today...it was snowing for a good 60 miles! And then rained all the way home....thanks Snowboarder!!

And tomorrow....I only have to knit!! Yay for 3-day weekends!

Happy Knitting!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

29 comments:

Susie said...

It looks perfect on you! I may just do this since I have some gorgeous sock yarn but I'm still a little anxious about making socks.

kasiaiscarly said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! And such a pretty scarf!

So nice of snowboarded to do all the cruddy driving. Boys are good like that :)

chemgrrl said...

Oh, very pretty! It looks lovely on you.

knittingknirvana said...

Wow! I love it!!! Of course, BMFA's colors are great. I've never seen this pattern before--I really like it. I like using sock yarn for scarves. It is so beautiful that it is nice for the whole world to see those gorgeous colors!

cockeyed said...

...love the scarf! sounds like you had a great birthday week! we will continue the celebration when i see you at stitches!

JelliDonut said...

Gorgeous! I love patterns in sock yarn and now that I am obsessed with sock yarn it's good to have options other than socks. I'm on my 5th pair for 2009. Talk about obsession!

Many thanks for posting your mods and photos.

P.S. my word verification is "coina," something I'm going to need a lot of, if I keep buying yarn.

Zonda said...

Go you! Love the scarf! Definately getting that colorway now! Sounds like a nice snowy weekend! :)

weezalana said...

It's came out beautifully! And holy cow, that was fast!

Scrabblequeen said...

It is lovely! I must go knit one after Stitches, so I, too, can make a Rockin' beuatiful scarf.

Anonymous said...

looks great!! and happy birthday!! i lurve it!

Anonymous said...

The yarn and the pattern look wonderful together! You're so fast, too!

peaknits said...

What a great job! It is gorgeous! The color is perfect for you.

Virtuous said...

Gotta love the 1 skein knits!!

And yeah for SuperDriver..I mean Snowboarder! ;op

Hope you enjoyed your day off!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I can't wait until the bleeding hearts pop up in my garden. Not yet...

I tagged you for an award on my blog today. I love your blog!

Unknown said...

Yup, our drive home was like yours too today though we did get a little break in the Central Valley.

Love, love, love your b-day scarf. I never picked up the colorway since the once batch I saw at Purlescence was very neon pink in comparison to your skein.

hearthead said...

Hey, you look hot! I LOVE this scarf, went to get the directions and dug out all my needles. I didn't have the correct sizes darn it! Time for a KP order. Inspiring...I love it!!! Glad you had such a great weekend!

turtlegirl76 said...

LOVE this scarf. And it marinating so long in your stash only made it better. Like a fine wine. =)

Jolynn said...

How beautiful! I love love love the colors!!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful!!! Sounds like a perfect weekend.

sgeddes said...

Lovely! That is a well knit and used skein. I can't belive you got a scarf that long out of one skein!

Discoknits said...

pretty scarf and pretty snow - will I need to bring some boots?!

:0)

Marisol said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I a have been coveting that color for ages and cannot seem to get my grubby little hands on it.

Love the pattern and color... You are one speedy knitter:)

Rani said...

Your birthday scarf! Glad you're home safe and sound!

tapmouse said...

Are you sure you didn't fall in love with that doggie and not the scarf?!

Ah, Bleeding Hearts! One of my favorite colorways that I always grab up...and always put down! But seriously how I love it! Now I KNOW I need to get a skein! I may just do more med weights!

Happy Knitting Weekend! And finished Ruffled Scarf weekend!

NINE MORE DAYS!!!! ;)

Andrea said...

Happy belated birthday, Carrie! That's one beautiful scarf -- I love how you always find such fitting projects for those pink STR colorways!

Knitting Kris said...

What a beautiful scarf - the colors are perfect for you! You're just zooming through the knitting, leaving the rest of us in the dust!

Anonymous said...

This is just beautiful! Love the yarn/pattern combo! Hope you had a lovely weekend with your love. :)

cupcakefaerie said...

Beautiful! And only one skein!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

ShareThis