Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Perks

There certainly are a few perks to this knee surgery/recovery thing.  Lots of rest and elevating my knee has meant lots of time hanging out in my room, catching up on all the TV I've missed, watching Downton Abbey over and over, and tons of doggie snuggles.

Seriously.  I think the doggies are so excited to have me home so much.  They've even been posing for pictures I think.

Bailey Boo

Puddles

Another perk definitely has to do with the extra help I've been getting. I've been staying at my dad's while I've been recovering and he has been awesome about bringing me ice, food, etc. It was nice today to have the energy to be able to walk a bit and so I made him homemade chocolate chip cookies. Well, technically he hinted how nice it would be if "someone" could make them :)  And although I dread going to the grocery store on crutches by myself, when I have gone, everyone has always been so helpful :)

Last week I did a photo shoot for a few upcoming patterns and my friends were absolutely amazing with helping me!  I couldn't quite get to everywhere we were taking the pictures, so Cupcakefaerie was able to do the styling and primping.  Of course, they did tease me when I hobbled over to fix one or two things.  Thayer was fabulous as usual, but the weather turned during our shoot and it was quite cold.  Check out the gorgeous model trying to keep warm in between wardrobe changes :)

TheOutfit

She looks fabulous even in this Shabby Chic look!

The other perk is more knitting time.  I've been able to decrease the pain meds that make me so sleepy, so I'm actually getting some time to knit!!  Remember that design I showed you the other day?  Somehow it flew off the needles and I finished it yesterday.  I'm so excited with how this turned out.

Coming Soon!

Recognize that lace edging?  Yes, it is the one featured in the Blathnat socks.  I've been thinking about this since I first cast on the socks and I'm so glad it turned out the way it did.  I didn't expect it to knit up so quickly either.  All I need to do is finish writing up the pattern and get it to test knitters now!  Oh, and if you haven't downloaded the Blathnat socks, please do so before the end of the month.  Come March it will no longer be offered for free as the KAL wraps up.

I was excited to use my new blocking wires that I bought from Inspinknity for my birthday.  They were fabulous, by the way!  Michelle, of Fickle Knitter Designs, recently did a great tutorial on blocking lace shawls if you need a quick reference. 

I also took some time to finish adding my patterns to Craftsy, a new website that is a bit like ravelry but for all crafts (e.g., sewing, quilting, jewelry-making).  The site offers classes too.  I recently signed up for Laura Nelkin's Lace Shawls class.  Now I just need some time to watch it!

Despite these perks, I can't wait to get rid of these crutches!!  Slowly but surely is my plan.  This week I was able to go to the pool to start some rehab.  Walking in the pool for just 20 minutes exhausted me.  I can't wait to be able to swim again and I certainly won't take for granted the journey to get back to that once I can. 

Sunday is my sister's birthday, so can you all help me wish IrishDaisy a happy happy birthday?!  The rest of the weekend will involve pattern writing and last minute prepping for Stitches West!!!  More about that next week.

Happy Weekend!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

4 comments:

~rachel said...

Absolutely beautiful shawl! I can't wait for the pattern!

Rani said...

Happy birthday to your sis!! And gosh, I hope you get well soon and kick those crutches!

The shawl is divine. I don't know how you do it. I have no eye for design (or brain for that matter).

I am watching the episode where the youngest . . . well, maybe I shouldn't say because I don't know where you are in Downton, but I'm loving it, too. I'm watching it on Masterpiece Theater's website.

Elizabeth D said...

That pink thing is beautiful!

Question: I've just finished knitting Summer Wind (I give that pattern an A+). How do you block a loop? Just fold in half and treat like a scarf?

Discoknits said...

The edging looks so delicate Carrie, nice job :0)
Keep those legs up!
xoxo

ShareThis