Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dotty

My grandmother. Grandma. Everything a grandmother should mean to a child. Simple, loving things.... homemade, decorated birthday cakes, lots of hugs, little cheeseburgers, summer vacations. Funny the things we remember. My grandma. Dorothy. Known to all her friends as Dotty.
dotty5


dotty10
When I saw that this colorway was named Dotty, I knew immediately it would become my grandma socks.

dotty6
I paired it with a dot pattern that gradually, subtlely, lengthens down the sock. Simple, but elegant. My grandma.

dotty7

dotty8
Special thanks to my Mom, who modelled these socks, named after her mother, on Mother's Day. My sister even got in on the photoshoot. The one above she took. (Be sure to say its your favorite, maybe she'll take more pictures..hehehe!) I still can't believe it has been five years since my Grandma passed away. I know she's up there looking down on me!

dotty1


Pattern: Dotty


Notes: The instructions are writter for a cuff-down sock. Charts are also provided.


Yarn: 350-380 yards of fingering weight sock yarn; shown in The Plucky Knitter MCN, colorway Dotty; other appropriate yarn substitutes include BMFA Socks that Rock lightweight; Squoosh Merino Cashmere: Sock


Needles: US 1.5 (2.5mm) or size needed to obtain gauge, either DPNs or ciruclar needles


Gauge: 32 sts = 4" in stockinette stitch


Sizes: adult women's X-Small (Small, Medium, Large)


Finished Measurements: 5.5" (6.5", 7.5", 8.5") foot circumference; 6 1/4" approximate leg length


Available for purchase here!

This pattern was designed using the new knitting pattern design software, Intwined Pattern Studio. Marisol told me all about it at sock camp, and I have to say, I love it!! The chart making especially!! And who can beat the price...just $44! If you've been on the fence, go get it! It is definitely worth it!

As always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions at irishgirlieknits AT gmail DOT com


For this pattern I'm doing something special. As some of you may know, I have worked with children with autism for the past 20 years. For seven years, my organization has participated in the Walk Now events that raise money for children with autism. This year the Walk Now for Autism Speaks walk is June 5. From now until then, I will be donating 50% of the sales of this pattern to the Walk Now for Autism Speaks Event. I'll be participating in this event again and my fundraising page is here. I'm hoping this will be a small way for me to support many of the families and children that I work with!


Happy Knitting!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

12 comments:

Shannan said...

Congrats on your new pattern! It's another beauty!

SissySees said...

Well, have I already told you my grandmother was Dorothy, called Dot, and I was named for her? I don't have that colorway, but I'm stash diving when I get home and casting on!

gMarie said...

I love this pattern. I can't say it enough. As soon as I finish the test pair (which I'm gifting to a long-time friend) I'm making my own. g

ps - thank you so much for letting me test. (I blogged it today).

tapmouse said...

Awesome, IrishGirlie! So perfect for Dotty socks!

Anonymous said...

I love these socks!!! I already purchased the pattern. Oh, I forgot! I haven't knit socks in ages. That may be about to change.

Zonda said...

Love the pattern! Great cause to support too!

Marisol said...

I love these Carrie! There are in my queue. I have my first Slip Jig done and need to cast on for number 2. These are next.

So glad the software is working out for you:)

Congrats on all your lovely patterns:) Great Job!

Patty said...

I love your new Dotty sock pattern. I am definitely buying it. You have chose the greatest cause to support as my grandson is autisic.
It will also be my pleasure to support you in the Walk now for Autism Speaks on June 5.
Thank you so much for all you do for this cause.

Scrabblequeen said...

Lovely Dotty socks and foot model. I'm so glad you got the Intwined Studio program...I worked for them at Stitches, handing out flyers and shmoozing...:-) Naturally, I bought it, too. Fun stuff.

hearthead said...

Love these...they are BEAUTIFUL! Another fantastic design by IGK!!!
Well done my friend...Grandma Dotty would be proud!
Love you!!!

Linda said...

Beautiful socks, Carrie. And, what a lovely tribute to your Grandma! Your work for children with autism is to be commended. I donated to your walk. Good luck reaching your goal!

Susie said...

Lovely socks!

ShareThis