Friday, December 24, 2010

A little bit of childhood

I think I said there would be holiday baking last Sunday. It didn't happen. Then Monday night. Another didn't happen. I thought definitely Wednesday. Nope. I was a bit busy, good, holiday busy with friends and family.

But yesterday, the holiday baking happened. And as the first batch of Mimi's Sugar Cookies came out of the oven, all I thought was.....


little.bit.of.childhood


This is my childhood in a cookie. I haven't made Mimi's Sugar Cookies for at least 5 or 6 years. When I talked to Mimi this morning, she was so happy because she thought she had lost the recipe. I remember copying this recipe as we baked these over 1o or 11 years ago, when they lived in the city before they moved to Reno.

mimis.cookies

I think I need to write it down properly, don't you think?

Here goes...

Mimi's Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups of flour 1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs. Then add lemon and vanilla extracts and mix together. Add in the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.

Roll the dough into small balls. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar (that is a must if you want them to be Mimi's Sugar cookies!). Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Enjoy!

Now, back to trying to finish at least ONE of Lil' Snowboarder's Little Cotty socks.

lil.cotty.socks

STR mediumweight, colorway Faulty Dyer. Socks that Rock. My kind of Christmas knitting.

Happy Christmas! Doggie holiday photos by the tree tomorrow!

xoxo Irishgirlieknits

3 comments:

Zonda said...

Thanks for the recipe, always looking for a good sugar cookie! I so wished I could find my Mom's Whoopie pie recipe...maybe one day when I move...Faulty Dyer looks good in Cotty.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Discoknits said...

I was just looking for cookie recipes today!!! The boys and I made choc-chip, oatmeal raisin and peanut butter cookies. Yes, 3 batches. Oy!!!!
The mini-cotties are very pretty indeed. Hope she likes them }:0)
Merry Christmas, love ya'.

dianne said...

Thanks for sharing the cookie recipe. It's so hard to find a tried and true good recipe and Mimi's sounds delicious!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

ShareThis