Monday, March 9, 2009

Hit the Slopes!

The Freestyle Snowboarder Hat

by IrishgirlieKnits

Snowboarder’s annual Christmas gift is a hat designed by me for when he hits the slopes. Requirements….it needs to have earflaps and look cool! Beyond cool! This year I didn’t even check with him on the design. I just did it! Freestyle. And then I made one for my nephew. And then my sister. Freestyle works for everyone, don’t you think?!

Freestyle Snowboarder Hat
Snowboarder, modeling the adult large size hat
in ShibuiKnits Merino Alpaca, colorway Seaweed
provided by my fabulous local dealers ... Purlescence Yarns (thanks Nathania!)

lil guy's snowboarder
Lil' Guy, modeling the toddler size hat I think he likes it!!

IMG_7258
Rowan, modeling the adult small size
in the gorgeous Plucky Knitter Merino Cashmere Nylon Worsted in the coveted colorway, Early Light
It was Rowan's birthday present! Cashmere, right?! Happy Belated Birthday little sis!

Yarn: Shibui Knits Merino Alpaca (50% baby alpaca, 50% merino), 132 yards/skein; 1 skein Pagoda and 1 skein Bark for toddler size; 2 skeins of Seaweed for adult large size; The Plucky Knitter Merino Cashmere Nylon Worsted (80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon), 185 yards/skein; 1 skein Early Light for adult small size

Needles: Size US 8 (either DPNs or Circular 16” with DPNs needed for decreases) for toddler and adult large size; US 7 (either DPNs or Circular 16” with DPNs needed for decreases) for adult small size

Gauge: ~4” stitches/inch for toddler and adult large size; ~4 ½” stitches/inch for adult small size

Width: 7 ¼” inches for toddler size; 8 ¼” inches for adult small size; 9 ¼” inches for adult large size

Note: The adult small size was made by using a slightly lighter worsted yarn and reducing the needle size for a tighter gauge. Also, for the adult large size, less than half of the second skein was necessary (less than 200 yards needed for the hat).


cool
The decrease on this hat was a favorite!

IMG_6842

the guys
Lil' Guy and his dad, Boondock Saint (he sooooo doesn't want a hat from me!)

This is will be my first official "for sale" pattern (sorry for the delay! a little ravelry hiccup I wasn't anticipating!!)!! Probably why I test knit it for my family...they have high expectations when it comes to their hats!

Available for purchase here!



As always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions at irishgirlieknits AT gmail DOT com

Happy Snowboarding!!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

23 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Congratulations on your first "for sale" pattern! Isn't Ravelry grand? The hat is awesome!

Mari said...

*fans self* That is one hot hat!

(Mari)

JelliDonut said...

I've wanted a cute hat that covers my ears. I think I just found it!

cupcakefaerie said...

Yay! Very very cool pattern!

Zonda said...

Awesome! Another hat I have to knit for Wisconsin! Congrats!

turtlegirl76 said...

Nice! Love the decreases on that toddler hat. Definitely looks great in stripes.

chemgrrl said...

Oh wow, that looks cute on everybody! Erm, I mean it looks hunky and manly on Snowboarder. :)

Congrats on the pattern. I hope it will keep you in yarn money quite nicely.

Kathy in San Jose said...

Verrrry nice! Now, if only I could get The Dork to wear a hat...

Anonymous said...

Love the hats. Congratulations on your first "for sale" pattern. The socks are great too. I hope your camera is resuscitated soon...your pics are beautiful

hearthead said...

Congrats! Way to go! Whoo Hoo! LOVE the hat, especially top, too cute!
I am so proud of you!

Scrabblequeen said...

Irishgirlie Rocks! her family with lovely knitted hats. Nice design. Nice smiles, too.

Josie said...

Congrats on the pattern -- it's really cute! Those decreases on the toddler hat are so cool -- does Lil' Guy's great smile come with the pattern too?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the pattern! The hat is super cute and looks like it would do a great job keeping heads warm.

JustJen said...

Too, too clever!!

Congrats!

cockeyed said...

...as usual...very awesome! Just went directly to paypal and paid and downloaded it! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

It's awesome! I hope you sell lots!

Knitting Kris said...

Well congratulations on your first "for sale" pattern - it looks lovely! I love it in all the colors and sizes! :)
And your socks are really pretty too. Sorry to hear about your camera!

weezalana said...

It looks faboo! Love how you worked the decreases, very cool! Congrats on your first for sale pattern!

Susie said...

Great hat! Good luck with the pattern sales!

Virtuous said...

The hat design is just GREAT!!

Funny you are talking about slopes and I am getting ready for spring!! :o)

Keep creating wonderful things woman!

Discoknits said...

LOVE IT! I think I know what all the kiddos will be getting for Christmas '09 ;0)

Congrats on a job well done :0)

kathy b said...

Wonderful wonderful creation. Happy Happy Pattern sales. Really great.

Unknown said...

Love it! I should have bought that skein of DeVine

ShareThis