Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dare I ask....

...about holiday knitting?

I'm trying not to think about it, but that tends to be my problem.  Not thinking about holiday knitting until maybe December 10!  And then it is mom's birthday and oops....no gift!

Remember this yarn from last year?

IMG_4910

One of those skeins was intended to be knit up for mom's birthday gift.  Thank goodness she is understanding.

The first day of November and I can't help but think about the holidays ahead....Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's.  I love this time of year and I really want to take the time to enjoy it.  And one of those ways is to perhaps re-think holiday knitting.  Is it possible to be realistic about my holiday knitting goals?  Paired with my designing goals?

What do you guys plan to do for the upcoming gift giving season?  Please don't tell me you are already done.

I'll be honest.  I learned a few years ago not to go crazy with the holiday knitting.  However, my family really enjoys their knitted items.  I do have a few extra Fine Fellas that can be a gift or two.  But I think it is time to start making a proper list so that it doesn't sneak up on me.  

Another question....are any of you doing NaBloPoMo?  November is National Blog Posting Month and I've always wanted to try it.   A few people were mentioning it today on Twitter and although I haven't completely decided to do it, I did post today.  I think I may attempt to post everyday in November....we'll see.  Anyone else?

I'd love to hear what you are thinking of for holiday knitting!  And, if you have any suggestions for topics you'd like me to blog about in November, would love to hear that too!

Until tomorrow....maybe.....

Happy Knitting!
xoxo Irishgirlieknits

8 comments:

sarah b. said...

I made a list of all my planned holiday crafting. As far as knitting goes, I plan to make my boys matching sweater vests (yes they will hate me for this later) and to make a set of fingerless gloves for my older son's lead teacher. Otherwise, my crafting will be sewing and hopefully some embroidery. I'm trying to be realistic but I'm sure my list is longer than I can complete :)

Debbi said...

Thanks for the nudge in this direction! I will if you will.....

dianne said...

I decided a while ago to go about the holiday knitting a little differently this year. I am knitting things that I want to knit with nobody particular in mind. Just anything that catches my eye. I'm trying to keep it to the smaller things like hats and cowls, etc. If I don't love it for myself, it goes into the "gift drawer". Come the holidays I will pull it out and let the people I would normally knit for choose something they love themselves. So far I have 2 hats, an infinity scarf, and a few pairs of socks. I'll let you know how it works out.....

watercolordaisy said...

I am so slow if I waited until now I'd have, uh, nothing. haha. I did one scarf for my mom and it is done. I may do another scarf for a dear friend with some giant yarn I have that should knit up fast even for me..... Other than that, uh, I should start now for next year. ha!

Kimberlyn said...

I don't really do holiday knitting. I do knit gifts for people, and if they get finished in the fall I usually hold onto them until Christmas. What is finished by December 15 is what gets done, and everything else gets purchased. I don't want to stress myself out!

Jadielady said...

There's something to be said for procrastination... I felt so proud of finishing my mom's socks back in March.. But now I have no idea where they are :(

Kate B said...

I am getting ready to start my holiday knitting, but I think I am keeping it to a minimum - just one sweater for my 6 month old niece and perhaps mittens for someone. I don't want the pressure I was under last year - all self-inflicted of course. It also will allow me to keep to my resolution to use some of my Rhinebeck stash before I go buy any new yarn.

MamaKaren said...

I found you through the NaBloPoMo blogroll. I am knitting scarves/cowls for my children's teachers again this year (they have many resource teachers and aides, so this is a bit of an endeavor). I may also knit a pair of fingerless gloves with pullover mittens for my 10 year old son, if I get the time.

ShareThis